This post is also available in: French
I came across that Caramel Milk Syrup recipe in the Bon Appétit Desserts book during the holidays and I told to myself that I must try that recipe. Then I had all this leftover sweetened condensed milk in my fridge and evaporated milk in my pantry waiting to be used. I thought to myself : Bingo !!!
I also had ripe bananas and pecans left from my cookie sticks recipe. Obvious right ? Banana Pecans Caramel cupcakes and Caramel Milk Swiss Meringue Buttercream. Plus my lil’ brother was coming over for the week-end and he loves everything that involves banana and/ or caramel …
The truth is I baked those cupcakes to avoid studying . I know that it’s bad , bad , bad. I should be studying instead of baking, photographing and blogging about those cupcakes … I will be doing some kind of internship flights next week end for an airline I hope to work for in the futur.
I’m really happy and excited but really scared and stressed out at the same time. I’m really shy so working with new people in an unknown plane, with new processes means lots of stress for me. So I should be studying right now.
Those cupcakes are really good, moist and crunchy thanks to the pecans. As it’s caramel milk syrup and not caramel sauce, the caramel taste is not as strong as it could be so if you really like strong caramel taste, do not hesitate to generously pour some caramel milk syrup on top of these cupcakes, or substitute caramel milk syrup by caramel sauce . Delicious .
I think you should really bake those cupcakes. Especially if you want to avoid studying right now. Plus Sugar is really good for your brain !
Banana Pecan Caramel Cupcakes with Caramel Milk Swiss Meringue Buttercream ( Makes about 12 regular cupcakes)
Caramel Milk Syrup : ( Source « Bon Appétit Desserts » book )
– 100g / 3.5 oz / 1/2 cup sugar
– 30ml / 1 oz / 2 Tbsp water
– 115gr / 4 oz / 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
– 160g/ 5.6 oz / 1/2 cup canned sweetened condensed milk
– 60g / 2.11 oz / 1/4 cup evaporated milk
– Stir sugar and 2 tablespoons water in heavy small saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves, occasionally brushing down sides of pan with wet pastry brush.
– Increase heat and boil without stirring until syrup is deep amber color, occasionally brushing down sides of pan with wet pastry brush and swirling pan, about 12 minutes.
– Remove pan from heat. Immediately whisk in cream (mixture will bubble vigorously).
– Whisk in sweetened condensed milk and evaporated milk.
– Cool to lukewarm.
Banana Pecans Caramel Cupcakes : (Adapted from Martha Stewart)
– 1 large egg
– 130g/ 4.6 oz /1 cup all-purpose flour
– 1/2 tsp baking soda
– 1/2 tsp baking powder
– 1/4 tsp salt
– 50g / 1.7 oz / 1/4 cup light brown sugar
– 55g / 2oz / 1/2 stick of butter , room temperature
– 160g/ 5.6 oz / 2/3 cup mashed ripe bananas ( about 2 bananas)
– 90g/ 3.2 oz /1/3 cup caramel milk syrup
– ½ tsp vanilla
– 50g / 1.7 oz / 1/2 cup chopped pecans
– Spread the pecans in a single layer on parchment paper on a baking sheet.
– Bake them at 325°F (160°C) for 10 minutes, until they are light brown and fragrant. Check the nuts frequently and stir them to ensure even toasting. Cool them prior to chop them. Set aside.
– Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line standard muffin tins with paper liners.
– In a medium bowl, whisk flour,baking powder,baking soda , and salt.
– In another bowl mix the mashed banana, vanilla and caramel milk syrup.
– In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
– With mixer on low, beat in egg . Alternately beat in flour mixture and buttermilk beginning and ending with flour mixture ; mix just until combined.
– Add the toasted chopped pecans .
– Scrape sides of bowl. Divide batter among muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full.
– Bake cupcakes until testers inserted into centers come out clean, about 20 minutes.
– Let cool in tins on wire racks. Cupcakes will keep, covered, for up to 3 days, unless otherwise noted.
Caramel Milk Syrup Swiss Meringue Buttercream :
– 90g / 3.2 oz / 1/3 cup caramel milk syrup
– 180g / 6.3 oz /5 large egg whites
– 300g / 10 oz /2 ½ sticks butter
– 200g/ 4.4 oz /1 cup sugar
– Place egg whites and sugar in a heatproof mixing bowl.
– Set bowl over 1 inch (2.5 cm) of water in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk gently until mixture reaches 140°F/60°C (or until sugar has dissolved and mixture is no longer grainy when you rub it between your fingers)
– Remove from heat and using an electric mixer, whisk on medium speed until egg whites are cool to touch (this takes a while – should be cooler than your hand).
– Continue beating, gradually add soft butter by tablespoon pieces and continue to beat. It will first look watery or separated, but after 10-15 minutes, it will come together.
– Once desired, pipe-able consistency has been reached, fold in caramel milk syrup until well incorporated.
Bon Appétit !