This post is also available in: French
I’ve learnt that today was Banana Bread Day !! I had overripe bananas ( my two last ones) and Nutella. The other day, my Bff told me that she was going to bake my biscoff banana blondies turning it Nutella banana blondies ! I didn’t thought of that ! I needed to bake something : Banana Nutella bread with toasted nuts seemed like the perfect idea for today !
Did I ever told you that I wasn’t a big banana fan until last year ? I liked the fruit by itself. But you would have never made me eat any cake involving bananas. Then I worked at a smoothie bar in Paris for nearly a year ( La Vie En Fruits / by the way if you’re in Paris you should really go there it’s pretty good !!) and I had the opportunity to taste an amazing Banana walnut Bread that was really divine. Till then i love bananas in cakes. I’m still not a big fan in my smoothie though …
Let me tell you that considering the amount of Nutella involved, it’s a totally Unhealthy banana bread recipe. Hopefully the Boyfriend will take it away from me tomorrow. Hopefully. I only had one problem with this banana bread. I never bake breads, I think that it takes forever to cook and that its easier to pack, give and freeze muffins. Plus it usually takes only 20 to 30 minutes in the oven. So my problem was that my loaf pan was slightly small .
I found myself alternatively looking at my pan and my batter , hoping that it would fit in … It did. I was pretty nervous that the batter would try to run away from the pan as well while into the oven. It didn’t. That was a hell of a big Nutella Banana Bread ! The boyfriend told me that it looked pretty big while it was still in the oven … So I had problem with the baking time .. It wasn’t done in the middle and the bottom was quite burnt … So I halved the recipe and I think that it will be perfect now.
I tried a new way of peeling the hazelnuts as well ! I use to boil the almonds in the microwave to peel them and it work fine but I couldn’t make it work with hazelnuts. I hate to toast them and spend forever rubbing them with my towels. Until I find that tip on My Baking addiction website !!! Baking soda was the key ingredient. It worked out great and that will be the only way I will peel my hazelnuts from now on.
I don’t know if it would still be good for you to have this cake for breakfast but I promise you I won’t tell anyone if you do. Have a good piece of Nutella Banana Bread !
Nutella Banana Bread with toasted Hazelnuts ( Makes one loaf)
– 1 large egg
– 160g/ 5.6 oz / 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
– 1/4 tsp baking soda
– 1/4 tsp baking powder
– 1/8 tsp salt
– 55g / 2 oz / 1/4 cup light brown sugar
– 60g / 2.1 oz / 1/4 cup packed darkt brown sugar
– 27g / 1 oz / 1/4 stick of butter, melted and cooled
– 120g / 4.2 oz / 1/2 cup sour cream
– 125g / 4.4 oz / 1 /2 cup ripe mashed bananas (about 1 medium)
– 60g / 2.1 oz / 1/2 cup hazelnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
– 150g / 5.3 oz / 1/2 cup Nutella
– 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
– Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter and flour an 4×8 inch loaf pan.
– Peel and toast your hazelnuts. Then chop them coarsely.
– Melt the cubed butter in a saucepan over low heat or into a microwave. Set aside to cool.
– Whisk together the flour , baking powder, baking soda, hazelnuts and salt. Set aside.
– Mix the Nutella (room temperature) with the sour cream.
– In a large bowl mash the bananas (using a fork or a potato masher) and mix with the vanilla extract and sugar. Add egg, cooled melted butter and the nutella/sourcream mixture. Beat several minutes, until the mixture is smooth, but be careful to not overbeat it. Add the dry ingredients, a third at a time. Gently stir with a spatula, until smooth (One more time, be very careful to not overmix it).
– Scrape sides of bowl and pour the batter into the loaf pan.
– Bake for one hour until testers inserted into centers come out clean.
– Let cool in pan on a rack 10 minutes. Then remove it from the pan and let it cool completely.
– Eat it all or try not to !
Bon Appétit !