This post is also available in: French
I love Cannelés. I used to hate them when I was younger. It’s really funny how your tastes change when you grow up and get older. For example I used to hates peas, red peppers, avocado, bananas with chocolate, I didn’t like basically any fruit / chocolate combo. Well I still have stuff that I don’t like.
One more example, I like fish when it’s kinda raw ,sushis, carpaccios, ceviche … but I don’t like it when it’s cooked. I know. I’m weird. I still don’t like beans as well. Do you have things that you don’t like or that you used to hate and love now ?
Let’s go back to my Cannelés or should I say my faux Cannelés. By the way I was confused about the right way to write it. I know I am French so I am supposed to know about that stuff but you can find « Cannelés » and « Canelés ». I looked for an explanation and found out that I can write it the way I want, both are corrects. Here is a good article on the subject.
Cannelés are supposed to be made with rum. Those ones are alcohol free. That’s also why you don’t have to refrigerate « the dough » for 24 hours. It is really easy and it is really good. Have you tried hazelnut milk before ? It’s a bit expensive but it’s delicious. It really add to the recipe, you should try, but I warn you that if you like nutella, hazelnut milk is a bit addictive …
I think that you can use any mini or big muffins pans if you don’t have any cannelés baking pans on hands … The thing is : You have to try those Nutella bites. Trust Me. I know that I look like the Snake in the Jungle Book. Trying to tempt you and hypnotise you… but I have to leave you with those fake Nutella Cannelés now. Let me know what you think !
Nutella Cannelés Bites (Yield 42)
– 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
– 60g / 2 oz / 1/2 cup cake flour
– 110g / 4 oz / 1/2 cup light brown sugar
– 30g / 1 oz / 1/4 stick butter.
– 100g / 3.5 oz / 1/3 cup Nutella
– 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
– 250 ml / 9 oz /1 cup hazelnut milk ( or another milk of your choice)
– In a saucepan, bring milk to a simmer over medium-low heat. Add butter and Nutella and heat until completely melted. Stir well. Remove from heat and set aside to cool to lukewarm.
– In a bowl, whisk egg yolk, egg, vanilla and sugar. Slowly incorporate the flour. Mix well.
– Slowly pour and whisk in the lukewarm milk mixture.
– Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.
– Preheat the oven to 460°F (240°C)
– Butter well your mini cannelés molds or use a baking spray and pour the cold batter
– Bake them for 10 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 350°F (180°C) and continue baking them for about 50 minutes, until its dark brown.
– Remove them from the oven, wait 3 to 5 minutes, then unmold them while still hot. Be careful not to burn yourself ! Let them cool before eating.
– Eat them all or try not to !
– They are better eaten the same day .
Bon Appétit !