This post is also available in: French
Last Saturday I went to Yoga in order to make 108 sun salutations for the Winter Solstice. I first said that I couldn’t make it because I thought that I couldn’t do it and I was also working that day. But my Yoga Teacher convinced me and I am glad that she did. I couldn’t make it to 108 , I just made 78 because I had to leave the class early to go to work but next time I ‘ll do the 108 .
I know now that I can do it. But I have to confess that the back of my thighs hurt so bad that it was truly painful for me to walk or to try to sit down and get up the next days. But I am really glad I di dit anyway. If you are curious about what a Sun Salutation A or Surya Namaskar A is, watch that very short video. If you are curious and want to learn more about the meaning of doing it in general , you can read this as well.
Saturday was some kind of a marathon day for me as I had to wake up early, walk the dog and then run to the yoga class under the rain. I did 78 sun salutations, then ran home, took a shower , ate and ran to work : last Saturday before Christmas for 6 hours straight. Then I ran to the train station to pick up my brother’s friends for the surprise birthday party. Then we ran to my place to organize the birthday and did the surprise.
Then we dropped them off to another train station and I finally came home to clean up everything before to go to sleep. Let me tell you that going to bed that night and sleeping was the best thing ever ! I keep collecting those kind of days/ weeks/months lately which is why I didn’t blogged much and is also why I am truly exausted.
Those Red Velvet Cupcakes were part of my Christmas Red Velvet Sweet Table. I « veganized » my Pomegranate Red Velvet Cupcakes recipe so I could bring it to work and because I really wantted to try the Tofutti « cream » cheese I bought last time I was in Paris. I was really curious about Tofutti and Soja margarine and I was really surprised how close the taste is from a dairy cream cheese frosting taste . My brothers friends and my co workers loved them. They thought that they were really good and light. I brought the cake pops made with cake scraps and leftover frosting to my sun salutations class and they loved them as well ! You should really try this recipe : Best Red Velvet Recipe ever !
Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting (Makes 24 cupcakes ):
Red Velvet Cupcakes : ( Adapted from Baked Red Velvet Recipe ) :
– 260g / 9.2 oz / 2 cups all-purpose flour
– 35g / 1.2 oz / 1/4 cup cornstach
– 1/2 Tbsp baking soda
– 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
– 2 tsp vanilla extract
– 1 tsp salt
– 1/2 tsp espresso powder
– 220g / 11.4 oz / 1 cup light brown sugar
– 113g / 4 oz / 1 stick of butter (or vegan margarine if vegan), room temperature
– 180g / 8.4 oz / 3/4 cup sour cream (vegan sour cream if vegan)
– 60g / 2.8 oz / 1/4 cup water
– 120g / 5.6 oz /1/2 cup pomegranate juice
– 30g / 1 oz / 1/4 cup Dutch-processed cocoa
– 1 Tbsp. red no-taste gel food coloring
– Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line two 12 muffin pans cups with paper liners.
– In a small saucepan, over low heat , bring the pomegranate juice to a boil. Remove from heat.
– Add, espresso powder, cocoa powder and food coloring. Mix well. Set aside to cool.
– In a medium bowl, whisk and sift flour, corsnstach and salt together .
– Stir sour cream, water and vanilla into the cooled cocoa mixture. Mix well until smooth.
– In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter until smooth. Scrape down bowl and add sugar. Beat until mixture is light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
– With mixer on low, alternately beat in the flour mixture (in 3 parts) and the cocoa mixture (in 2 parts) to the butter / sugar mixture. Beat until incorporated.
– In a small bowl, combine vinegar and baking soda and stir until baking soda dissolves; the mixture will fizz. Add to batter and stir until just combined.
– Scrape sides of bowl . Fill each cupcake liner about 2/3 full with batter.
– Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
– Remove from oven, transfer to a wire rack, and let cool for 10 minutes.
– Remove cupcakes from pan, and let cool completely.
Cream Cheese Frosting :
– 55g / 2 oz / 1/4 cup organic & non –hydrogenated shortening
– 85g / 3 oz / 3/4 stick butter (or vegan margarine if vegan)
– 226g / 8 oz / 1 container Cream Cheese (or Tofutti if vegan)
– 375g / 13.2 oz / 3 cups confectioner’s sugar, sifted
– 1/2 Tbsp pure Vanilla extract
– In a bowl, cream the butter / margarine and shortening for a few seconds then add the cream cheese / Tofutti and beat until smooth and creamy.
– On low speed, add the 3 cups sugar. Beat until well incorporated.
– Add Vanilla extract.
– Keep beating until light and fluffy.
– Frost your cupcakes.
– Eat a cupcake !!
Bon Appétit !