This post is also available in: French
Lets be honest on this. I am writing from my bed. Internship is great but it’s tiring and I’m in Paris which means that I’m seeing my friends and eating out a lot. Like a LOT ! I’m eating a lot of scrapes at the bakery because I have to taste as much as possible, plus all the Starbucks, pizzas, burgers … I never stop eating. ..
Anyway. About this trifle. It was my baby brother birthday cake. As usual he asked for a fraisier in January. As usual I told him that I won’t bake it. He was like « ok so it’s my birthday and I don’t get to choose my own birthday cake ??! ».
I said that he won’t but that I will make sure that he will love his cake and he did. For me baking birthday cakes for my family or friends are gifts on their own and I want to surprise them. So I get to choose what I am baking.
I need to tell you that this trifle is a lemon meringue layer cake turned into a trifle. The truth is that my lemon curd wasn’t thick enough to fill this cake and it turned out to be a nightmare. I had to scrape filling and frosting several times. Did I already mentioned the fact that I have no patience ? But I am also very obstinate and I decided that this cake wouldn’t die in my garbage. I hate to throw food away and I hate to give up as well. And suddenly I had an idea. I had to make a trifle ! I wanted to make one for months now and it was the best thing to do !
So I put on some clothes on (yeah I have no shame to admit that I was baking in my pajamas at 4pm) and ran to the store to buy a trifle bowl. I ended up buying a vase because I could’t fine a trifle bowl and I was running out of time. So ok it’s a vase turned into a trifle bowl and it’s a layer cake turned into a trifle. Pretty normal huh ? Well in my world it is.
I made this Marshmallow frosting for the first time and it is a success ! I love the taste and the texture. I used my Lemon Curd recipe and I also used my lemon financiers recipe for the cake layers. I was really happy with the result , it was really good and my baby brother really loved it ! It really tastes like lemon pie…
Did you have any disaster turned into success in your kitchen ?
Lemon Trifle :
For the Lemon Financier Cake:
– 60g / 2.1 oz / 1/2 cup cake flour
– 120g / 4.2 oz / 1 cup icing sugar
– 113g / 4 oz / 1/2 cup butter, cubed
– 100g / 3.5 oz / 1 cup almond meal
– 4 large egg whites
– 60 ml / 2.1 oz / 1/4 cup Lemon juice
– 1 Tbsp lemon zest
For the Lemon Curd:
– 2 large eggs plus 2 large egg yolks
– 10g / 0.3 oz / 1 Tbsp cornstach
– pinch salt
– 200g / 7 oz / 1 cup granulated sugar
– 125g / 4.4 oz / 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (2 to 3 lemons)
– 113 g / 4 oz / 1/2 cup butter, cubed
– 1 Tbps Lemon zest
For the Marshmallow Frosting : (Makes three 6 x 2inch round pans)
– 108g /3.8 oz / 3 large egg whites
– 227g / 8 oz / 3/4 cup light corn syrup
– 175g / 6.1 oz / 1 cup + 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
– 1/4 tsp salt
– 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
For the Lemon Financier Cake :
– Melt the cubed butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, swirling the pan occasionally until the butter turns golden brown. Smell the butter; it should have a nutty aroma. Pour the browned butter into a small bowl to cool.
– Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter and flour three 6 inch pans , tapping out the excess flour.
– In a large bowl, sift and whisk together the flour, icing sugar, lemon zest and almond meal.
– Mix the egg whites with brown butter and lemon juice.
– Mix wet and dry ingredients until just combined.
– Divide batter between the 3 pans ; smooth tops. Bake until cakes pull away from sides of pans, about 25 minutes.
– Let cool in pans 10 minutes. Run a knife around edges of pans and invert cakes onto a wire rack.
– Let cool completely.
For the Lemon Curd :
– In a saucepan whisk eggs, eggs yolks, cornstach,salt and sugar. Add Lemon juice and mix well. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 10 minutes.
– Remove the saucepan from the heat and quickly add the butter and mix until smooth. Stir in the lemon zest. Pour the mixture into a bowl and lightly press some plastic wrap on top. It will prevent a skin from forming. Let it cool and refrigerate it a few hours (Overnight if possible).
For the Marshmallow Frosting :
– Mix egg whites, corn syrup, sugar and salt in a heatproof mixing bowl.
– Set bowl over 1 inch (2.5 cm) of simmering water in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk gently until mixture reaches 110°F/45°C (or until sugar has dissolved and mixture is no longer grainy when you rub it between your fingers)
– Remove from heat and using an electric mixer, whisk on medium speed until egg whites are cool to touch until foamy. Add vanilla extract . Continue to whip until stiff glossy peaks form. Be really careful to not overwhip it.
Assembly of the trifle :
– In a large bowl , break the cake with your hands into small pieces until you have very fine crumbs.
– Place a first layer of cake in the bottom of the trifle bowl. Then add a generous layer of lemon curd and then the marshmallow frosting. Repeat the layers until you run out of ingredients or when you reach the top of the bowl. Finish by a layer of the marshmallow frosting and torch it if you can.
– Refrigerate for at least one hour.
– Eat it. (Best part ever !)
Bon Appétit !