This post is also available in: French
I already told you about my last baking marathon but what I didn’t told you about is that it was just the beginning of my week.
I had to bake and decorate 6 muffins for a « muffins » contest on Saturday ( but that’s another story) and that I had to go to Paris for signing a two days contract with the new airline I’ll be working for the summer.
A two day contract because I had two flights scheduled « two test flights » that I had to pass to be able to work for them.
I also didn’t told you but I had a two weeks training for that airline in February which is also a reason why I was so tired , those trainings are really intense and stressfull … I didn’t really planned on switching airlines and it has been a very difficult decision to make.
I loved working at the other airline but I have more possibilities of evoluting in the new one. Possibilities like getting a full time long term contract in the next three years for example … Crossing fingers !
It’s hard to say goodbye to your coworkers and yours habits though … I worked there every « summer » for the last 4 years … So I passed my test ! Yeah ! So I came back home Monday evening, well during the night to be more accurate, I left the airport around midnight and parked my car at my parents house around 1 :30 am.
I was exausted. So last week was really exausting and it’s been a bit complicated to recover from it … I feel a bit numbed …
I was supposed to post those mini pies on Tuesday for « Pecans day » but it’s ok I guess to post them today. Pecan Pie is one of my favorite dessert and breakfast … When I did my internship at the bakery I ate so much … They bake a really mean pecan pie I’m telling you ! So when I came back home I was craving more and decided to give it a try.
I tried two pie doughs, half are traditional pie dough and the other half is a quick pâte sablée. Just Delicious !! I tried with Maple syrup and … Pancake Syrup Maple flavor !
I know that it sounds weird but it’s really good. And I have lots of pecans and maple sugar left from my last trips to Montréal. I know , I’m lucky !
What about you ? Did you had to switch jobs even thought you really like your work but had more opportunities somewhere else ? Did you regret it ?
Mini Pecan Pies: (yield 12 mini pies)
– 300g / 10.6 oz / 3 cups pecans
– 2 (9-inch) unbaked pie crust
– 3 large eggs
– 75g / 2.6 oz / 2/3 cup maple sugar (or light brown sugar )
– 330g / 11.6 oz / 1 cup maple syrup (or Pancake syrup Maple flavor )
– 42g / 1.5 oz / 3 Tbsp butter, melted
– 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
– Pinch salt
– Spread the pecans in a single layer on parchment paper on a baking sheet.
– Bake them at 325°F (160°C) for 10 minutes, until they are light brown and fragrant. Check the nuts frequently and stir them to ensure even toasting. Cool them prior to chop them. Set aside.
– Lightly grease 12 4-inch (10 cm) tartlets pans with butter.
– On a ligthly floured surface, roll out the dough and cut out 12 circles ( about 4 1/2 inch – 11,5 cm) . Fit them inside of the tartlets pans. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes or until firm.
– Divide pecans evenly between prepared pans.
– In a large bowl lightly beat the 3 eggs with maple sugar.
– Add Maple syrup, melted butter , vanilla extract and one pinch of salt.
– Beat until smooth.
– Stir about 1/4 cup of the mixture into unbaked pie shells already filled with pecans.
– Bake at 350°F (180°C) for about 30 minutes or until set.
– Remove and cool on wire racks
– Eat them all or try not to !
Bon Appétit !