This post is also available in: French
I love breakfast. It’s by far my favorite meal of the day. If you have a doubt about it just check my breakfast/brunch board on Pinterest. I love to have breakfast for lunch or even for dinner !
Even when I have to wake up at 2am in the morning for work I have to eat breakfast before leaving home. When we’re staying at hotels, my colleagues always think that I am completely crazy to wake up earlier to have breakfast even when it is already crazy early. They rather sleep more that have breakfast. But trust me you don’t want to deal with me if I didn’t had my breakfast !
This is my favorite thing about hotels .They can have amazing breakfasts. You can have eggs, pancakes, fresh fruits, cheeses, cold meats etc etc … After a few years working as a flight attendant I had to give myself one simple rule : only one big hotel breakfast per week …
Because I can get out of control really easily especially in Nantes where they have unlimited warm salted caramel sauce ready to pour on your crêpes and pancakes …
I did only one flight abroad (for work) in my life and it was to Cancun … I had one of the best hotel breakfast of my life. My coworkers looked at me in a very weird way as I was getting a new plate after another one and instagramed every single one of them … I wanted to taste everything !
My dad was a pilot and when I was a little girl, my mom and myself were travelling with him sometimes and they told me that I was always amazed by the breakfasts buffets and I always wanted to go brunch with them !
I think that it’s a family thing when I really think about it. My dad was always working a lot but I remember that when he was home on sundays , he was always buying croissants and pains au chocolat and we had a big family breakfast. It’s definitely one of my best childhood memories.
Granola is one of my favorite breakfasts and I’ve seen so many homemade recipes online that I thought that it was time to try to bake my own. I decided to do a Canadian version. I used maple sugar, pure maple syrup and dried cranberries …
It is so good you can eat it by itself, by the spoon. I really loved it. I never thought that it was that easy ! If you never had homemade granola before you really have to ! Trust me !
- 2 cups (200g / 7 oz) rolled oats
- ⅛ cup (30g / 1 oz) maple sugar (or light brown sugar)
- ½ cup (50g / 1.7 oz) dried cranberries
- ½ cup (50g / 1.7 oz) pecans, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup (30g / 1 oz) raw shelled sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup (75g / 2.6 oz) maple syrup
- ⅛ cup (30g / 1 oz) canola oil
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 340°F (170°C).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine the oats, maple sugar, dried cranberries, pecans, and sunflower seeds.
- In a smaller bowl stir canola oil, maple syrup and salt.
- Mix well the wet and the dry ingredients. Make sure that all the dry ingredients are well coated.
- Spread out evenly the mixture in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let it cool completely and store it in an airtight container for up to a month if it last that long !
Bon Appétit !