This post is also available in: French
Two months ago while I was doing my internship at Sugarplum Cake Shop I had a really good day and then something happened, or it’s more that I learnt something that hurt me. It made me a bit bluesy, a bit moody, a bit sad I guess …
Sometimes I am just so naïve. It’s crazy how you can keep feeling betrayed and disappointed in people the way you were when you were 15 except that you’re 30. I don’t know if it’s chilsdish or not.
I’m a really sensitive girl. I don’t know if it was because it was rainy, because I was tired or because of all those little things but I felt really bad … So guess what I did ? I went grocery shopping and bought everything I needed to bake on my way home : Flour, sugar, butter…
I’ve been lucky because the grocery store close at 8 :45 pm and it was 8 :30 when I walked in. So I went back to my grandma’s the arms full of baking supplies.
She was a bit surprised. I already told you that my grandma doesn’t bake anymore. So of course she asked me if I really was about to bake at 9 pm considering the fact that I had to wake up really early tomorrow morning for my internship. I answered yes. I would have plenty of time to sleep next week.
So I poured myself a few sweet alcoholic sparkling cider glasses, put on my pajamas, some music, wrote down my recipe and started to bake.It made me feel so much better. I find so much peace, joy and comfort in baking. I am truly, deeply in love with Food. I say Food and not Eating.
I love eating as well but it’s all the little things about Food that I love; buying and looking for new ingredients, admiring them, looking for the best dish, the best place to eat it or to best way to bake or cook it. Smelling it. Eating it is the last step in a way. I enjoy the destination but I love even more the trip.
I’ve done those cinnamon rolls several times now and they are finally perfect to me and to a lot of my family and friends so it’s time to share them with you I guess ! So what about you ? How do you calm down when you’re upset or what is the best thing that cheers you up when you’re down ?
- 3 Tbsp (42g / 1.5 oz) butter, softened
- ¼ cup (50g / 1.7 oz) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (60g / 2.1 oz) Dark brown sugar
- 1½ Tbsp Cinnamon
- 1 cup (250 ml / 8.8 oz) warm milk
- 2¼ tsp ( 7g / 0.25 oz ) 1 package Active Dry Yeast
- ⅓ cup (75g / 2.6 oz ) butter, melted
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4¼ cups (550g / 19.4 oz) all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup (80g / 2.8 oz) light brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup butter (56g / 2 oz)
- ⅓ cup (75g / 2.6 oz) Cream Cheese
- ⅓ cup (80g / 2.8 oz)Mascarpone Cheese
- 1½ cups (190g / 6.7 oz) confectioner’s sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp pure Vanilla extract
- Steps :
- In a bowl, mix the sugars and cinnamon with the softened butter until well blended. Set aside.
- Sprinkle yeast over the warm milk and let it stand for 5 minutes. Add warm but not hot melted butter, egg and vanilla extract. Mix until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk and sift flour, sugar and salt together.
- In a large bowl mix the wet and the dry ingredients and knead until you have a smooth, elastic dough. (About 10 minutes).
- Transfer to a lightly greased bowl. Cover with a towel or plastic wrap and let it rise in a warm place for one hour or until it doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) and lightly grease a baking pan.
- On a lightly floured surface or on a non stick mat, roll the dough into a 16 by 23 inch (40x60 cm) rectangle.
- Spread evenly the softened butter cinnamon sugars mix all over the doug.
- Roll up the dough tightly from the long end, pinching the edges seam to seal.
- Using a sharp knife, cut log into 12 equal slices and place rolls evenly in prepared pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about one hour.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let them cool
- In a bowl, cream the butter for a few seconds then add the cream cheese and mascarpone cheese. Beat until smooth and creamy.
- On low speed, add the icing sugar. Beat until well incorporated. Add vanilla extract.
- Keep beating until frosting is smooth.
- Frost your warm rolls.
- Eat a warm roll !!
Bon Appétit !